Sarolta's Personal Blog

Saturday, January 22, 2005

To blog or not to blog

I'’m used to sharing my ideas with the people I know or at least can see, whether that'’s my family, my students or colleagues. Cyberspace is beyond my comprehension.
Although I’'ve checked the names and photos of the participants more than a couple of times, I can'’t really imagine who I’'m writing for. They all seem nice, but distant, not familiar.
I was wondering, does the fact that we'’re writing for a faceless audience bother anybody?
Seeing so many blogs of the journal type makes me think people enjoy it. Those who don'’t obviously don’'t blog or use the blog for different reasons.
I suppose this changes when a blogger starts getting comments from regular readers and a contact is created.
During the chat with Ann, I raised the issue of students'’ lack of interest or even downright refusal to blog. Bee said she spends quite some time in the computing lab with her students. I can understand that now. Observing my own reactions to the unknown audience, I can sympathize with my students. Yeah, it'’s probably wise to stay with them longer, at least until two-way communication started and their audience started to get its shape.

2 Comments:

  • Hi Sarolta,
    I agree with you it is not easy to connect with people online, especially when we have a solid group of friends and family. What I have found, however, is that blogging allows you to go beyond your group, widen your horizons and discover how other human beings interact and what values they hold dear. You recognize your similarities and differences by interacting with the world around you and get a deeper insight of the same group you are usually in contact with.
    Warm regards from Brazil ;-)

    By Blogger Bee, at 11:44 pm  

  • Greetings Sarolta,

    This is Karen García fascinated to have found your blog... and to know you are all the way around the world from here! I am in the Northeast of the USA and it is freezing here... (probably you are also...) Well, I am not used to the cold-- since I am from the sunny caribbean, Puerto Rico.

    These blogs are something else... you figure it out and then there is something more... like rss feeds... coming up this week!

    Must tell you that since Bee constructed the photoroll http://www.beewebhead.net/Evo05/bloggers.htm you can "picture" who others are. Once we get to know each other a little bit more, it becomes even better to read your postings,,,, so... look for mine, and lets get interactive..... just use my id "lajaulavira" and you can see what I've been trying to make out of this thing called "blogs".

    For the moment I wish you well..... Cheers, Karen

    By Blogger la guru, at 11:53 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home