Sarolta's Personal Blog

Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Losing direction?

Some time ago, Bee wrote about her wish to be more reflective than action oriented. I think I can live with fuzzy ideas that put me in action mode. The latter brings greater satisfaction.
This blog of mine is losing direction and is not regularly updated. I don't want to quit writing. But I need a reason to write. And I noticed that I post more regularly to another blog, the one I keep for my second year students. They stopped writing posts in their own blogs, but they keep visiting my blog and the class blog. They don't send posts to the class blog, but they leave short comments in mine. I believe they are still interested in what is going on, they even follow my links to the articles that I write about in my posts. There's still hope for them. Especially because they have learnt a few lessons this spring.
  • First of all, they realized that they missed the opportunity for being read by their peers and getting comments. They did enjoy getting comments from me.
  • Next, they realised that reading is important and that you can improve your reading skills if you keep reading regularly.
  • They also found out that they can write in English. They've written short summaries of articles about tourism, short reports, and even a 4-page assignment based on three sources and with a proper introduction, conclusion, reference to their sources and all. I told them how proud I was of them (I really am!).
  • They realised that doing homework is helpful.
  • And finally, keeping a portfolio does reflect the progress they've made. They can see it now.
My goodness, isn't this the thing that makes us teachers satisfied and proud of our students? Now I'm just hoping their progress will show in the results of the exams.

2 Comments:

  • I'm finding it difficult to write in all the blogs and I'm missing out somehow.

    I have the Ubiquity blog for "stuff about blogs and my EVO friends."

    I have my CogDiss blog for "professional writing"

    I have a spot on "Terra Incognita" -- a blog for writing about the strategic direction of my professional organization.

    I have a diary that I keep with blog software that runs on my local computer (no server connection).

    But I keep thinking I want an "Art" blog.

    I'm out of my mind.

    By Blogger Nathan Lowell, at 6:17 pm  

  • Hi Sarolta,
    I also find it difficult to keep up with my blog with so many things happening. As for the students, why don't you direct them to Dekita.org on your other blog. Maybe they will find other learner blogs they would like to comment on, or even submit articles as contributors, get comments from others and improve their reading and writing skills autonomously, outside the classroom.

    By Blogger Bee, at 12:44 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home