Sarolta's Personal Blog

Monday, July 18, 2005

Summer

The busy exam period at the college is over and I decided to take a summer break in my tutor blog and switch back to my personal blog.

I started studying for my exam in English linguistics. I’m into semantics right now and it feels OK - I’m quite familiar with it. At the same time I’ve started updating my corpus of tourism abstracts. My MA thesis will focus on their discourse. I’m looking forward to working with concordances again. They look like this:

concordance

They remind me of the times when I developed black and white photos myself. That intense feeling of expectation and the magic of an image appearing on a piece of white paper in front of you! I feel pretty similar when I load my files in my concordancer and set the search word and then the lines of words start appearing. There’s some kind of magic in it. The image words create can tell you so much about them. Yeah, I’m fascinated by words and the magic they can create.

1 Comments:

  • The magic is in knowing I can read your words ... you wrote them last week and 10,000 miles away. They waited until just now for me to read them. They seemed completely unabashed about having been read before but -- still -- for me they were fresh and new.

    Good luck on your exam, Sarolta.

    By Blogger Nathan Lowell, at 5:14 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home