Sarolta's Personal Blog

Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Blue Guitars, Jars and Plums

I was reading participants' blogs in Bloglines when I came upon a link to Hector J. Vila's blog, went onward to the Artswriting Experiments blog at Middlebury College and came across Wallace Stevens' "Man with the Blue Guitar". It immediately reminded me of the times I spent at the University of Ljubljana, of Dr Reagan and Dr Peck, who were enthusiastically broadening our horizons with American poetry.
It also reminded me of another poem - William Carlos Williams' "This is just to say". For years I read these poems to every new generation of secondary school students and invariably got a very positive response from them. My goodness, why did I stop?
Can teaching ESP involve writing short comments on poetry?

1 Comments:

  • Sarolta,
    I agree that we should not disregard the power of poetry in any syllabus. Every time I have brought poems to my class I have created this mystic atmosphere that no other form of language can create. Haven't read the poem you mention but will try to get it. Thanks for sharing.
    Regards from Argentina
    Ale

    By Blogger Ale W, at 3:34 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home